The best way to spend the holidays is to travel. If you have only been to West Malaysia, it's time to head over to East Malaysia and visit Kota Kinabalu to explore this charming city! Kota Kinabalu or also known as KK, is located in the northern part of Borneo and is known as the capital of Sabah, Malaysia.
Here's a list of 11 things to do when you're in KK:
1. Go on a city tour. KK is a small town and you can easily hire a local taxi driver to show you around. Check out the bird’s eye view of the city at Signal Hill Observatory.
2. Take a stroll along The Waterfront. You can try the local food at the many stalls around the area or just sit down and take in the serenity of the seaside view while drinking your favorite cocktail as you wait for the sun to set.
3. Visit the colorful Pu Toh Tzeh Buddhist temple with the Goddess of Mercy standing by the main entrance waiting to greet you.
4. Step into Sabah's floating mosque and admire its beautiful structure. You can actually go inside the mosque. The caretakers will provide you with the proper attire before you enter the prayer room.
5. Take a glimpse of the city’s cool graffiti wall which showcases the creativity of the locals. This famous street art is right across Suria Sabah mall.
6. While you're in KK, drop by one of the famous landmarks around town, the Atkinson's Clock tower. It's also dubbed as one of the oldest structures in Sabah.
7. Walk around Gaya street. This is one of the busiest streets in town. You can find a lot of hotels and restaurants here. This is the best location if you're looking for a place to stay in.
8. Don’t miss the Gaya Sunday market when you’re in town. Every Sunday morning, Gaya street is converted into a market which showcases a variety of food, handicrafts, souvenirs, and just about anything you can think of.
9. Your trip will never be complete unless you go on a hike to the Kinabalu Park, Malaysia’s first World Heritage site. The park’s main attraction is the majestic Mount Kinabalu, one of the tallest mountains in South East Asia.
10. Hop on the train at Beaufort Railway Station and experience an exciting ride at one of Borneo’s diesel trains which is operational since the 19th century. The route will take you around Borneo's luscious jungle. The best place to sit is on the right side of the train where you can enjoy the green forest and river view.
11. Go on an extreme adventure and try whitewater rafting at Padas river. This class 3-4 murky river covers around 9km of adrenaline rush and 7 exhilarating rapids. This river is only accessible by train.
There are many things to do and various places to see when you’re in Kota Kinabalu. Whether you prefer a relaxing and laid back travel or you’d rather go on an adventure trip, KK can suit your preference and lifestyle. There’s always something for everyone.